Christmas Newsletter, 2012

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace..”  Isaiah 9:6


Merry Christmas from the Wallen Family






This year, we are going digital!  Instead of printing the very lengthy newsletter that we put together each Christmas, we are directing you to this website where you can read our individual letters without having to use a magnifying glass!!  You can click on the photos to see them larger.  If you still prefer a paper copy, let me know and I will send you one.  



Tom

You will notice a theme in the articles you read in this year’s Wallen Street Journal.  As a family, we have enjoyed our Lord’s blessings and provision through  many forms of change; birth, graduations, enrollments, commissions, growth, discovery, adventures, career changes, and even death.  The passing of my father on the day before Thanksgiving is still very fresh in my spirit. Those of you who have had this experience understand and not much needs to be said.  My father left a deep impression on his children and grandchildren.  The memories he nurtured in our lives will be shared over and over again as a legacy to his life. Thanks, Dad!!! Lynn and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary in October. I am so grateful to have her to share life with. Thank you, Lord!!!  I had an unexpected, though delightful, career change in February of this year.  I now work for Healthcare Performance Partners, a MedAssets Company.  My hospital architectural design focus is one which has been my passion for many years, (safe and efficient clinical operations sustained by continuous quality improvement). I now have the added pleasure of working with professionals that share a similar passion. My projects stretch across the country and I am blessed to be able to work with some great clients.  Seek the Lord and He shall be found, especially in His Christmas season!!! I wish you a most blessed Christmas and New Year, too.


Lynn

Greetings to you!  Another fast-paced year is in the rear-view mirror.  The year began with David leaving home for the Marines Officer Candidate School.  I am sure he will tell you about it in his letter, but his experience was extremely inspiring for our family. We all gathered with him on April 1st for his graduation and commissioning as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps.   After six grueling college auditions, Micah graduated from high school in May and headed off for Carnegie Mellon in August.   He is the seventh to have graduated, which leaves only Jade at home now with me during the school year.  Christian also graduated this year, from college, with honors.  What a blessing!  We enjoyed a trip to northern Michigan in July to attend Tom's niece's wedding and spent a week on Long Lake for vacation.   Jade and I visited Rose and Michael in Tennessee in August for Asher's birth, our fifth wonderful grandchild.  What a blessing to be able to see our children’s children!  I have a new hobby!  I took a class in loom weaving in September and just purchased a floor loom.  Not sure what my first project will be but I will have to wait until January to get started on it. The year is ending on a very sad note with Tom’s father passing away in November.  Norm Wallen leaves an inspiring legacy with 7 children, 23 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren.  As we gathered to celebrate his life, we were reminded how important and encouraging are family bonds. I pray that your family will be close this Christmas and that you strengthen each other in love and charity. May God bless you with His joy and peace!


David


Howdy! Well I’m glad to report that I am alive! As many of you know, I attended Officer Candidate School in Quantico, VA, earlier this year and received my commission as an officer in the United States Marine Corps.  I then attended The Basic School, also in Quantico, which lasted till December.  As you can imagine, this past year has been the most difficult year of my life, both physically and mentally. There are countless stories and lessons learned, but the biggest lesson was perseverance.  I have been pushed to my limits, or at least what I thought were my limits, daily.  There were many times when I thought I couldn’t go further and in every instance, I took a step forward and shattered all thoughts of having a limit.  My body has never been in so much pain.  I have never gone so long with so little sleep.  And on top of that, I’ve never been so active physically and challenged with constant physical strain on the body.  Throughout all this, my body has been very weak.  In all of my weakness though, I have seen God step in and pull me through to success every time.  Many of you know that I have had back issues in the past and had to have surgery several years ago to repair it.  People thought I was crazy to put myself through the rigors of OCS training with a weak back.  To me, it was rarely an issue because in the back of my head, I felt strongly about God calling me to be a Marine.  I didn’t know why; I just knew I had to.  Well, to put it straightforward, every part of my body has given me trouble in the past year, except my back.  My biggest weakness coming into the Marine Corps was my back and I am convinced that God took care of it each morning I bent down to lace my boots, each time I hoisted 200 lb. men on my back and sprinted across the fields, through the woods, and over every obstacle that came my way.  My biggest weakness provided God an opportunity to make good on His promise, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is perfected in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9   I challenge you to find your biggest weaknesses, and all of your weaknesses, and let the Lord manifest His strength through those weaknesses.  I guarantee you it will be uncomfortable and people will think you are crazy.  It will require more and more discipline each day in your life and how you walk with the Lord.  It will require faith and trust.  But I stand before you today as living proof that in our weaknesses, He is made strong; that the impossible is possible when the Lord calls you.  So, as we roll into 2013, I encourage you to push yourself beyond your “limits” to achieve your goals! And set high goals, goals that seem impossible! Because you may be surprised how possible they are with perseverance and discipline. I hope you and your families have a blessed Christmas and New Year! Semper Fi!


Tony and Rachel

Hello all! For us, the highlights of 2012 centered on outdoor adventures. In May, we decided to undertake a 7-day, 78-mile backpacking trip in the Smoky Mountains. We set off armed with a water purification pump, full backpacks, great boots, and the most calorie-dense food we could find. The first couple hours of the trip went quite well; then came the rain. We were prepared for wet weather, but not necessarily for constant precipitation. Soon our clothing was soaked, and would remain so for most of the trip. Sunlight was rare and thin, resulting in temperatures well below freezing at times. At least we did not get as wet when the rain turned to snow and sleet. But all that was smooth sailing compared to the last 36 hours of the trip. On day 5, Tony and I slept in a shelter on the Appalachian Trail, since camping outside of the shelters on this popular trail is prohibited. That night, we vowed never to stay in a shelter again: between the constant, loud snoring, the solitary leak in the tin roof dripping water directly onto our sleeping bag, the shoulder-to-shoulder sleeping conditions, the smell, and the eerie sound of rats gnawing through packs, neither of us slept more than an hour. We nudged each other comfortingly every time someone’s watch beeped, sounding the passing of another hour. The next morning, we took stock of our situation: we were 24 miles from our car, including 4,000 ft of elevation gain and 10,000 ft of elevation loss, and very passionate about not sleeping in another shelter. We packed up quickly and headed out, realizing that we had to make it back to our car by dark. 10 minutes later, we were slammed by a severe thunderstorm. The rain came down in sheets and visibility dropped to 15 ft. The lightning looked like cannon fire through the fog, occasionally striking the ridge we were hiking along.  Between thunderclaps, we were greeted with the splintering sound of trees blowing down across the trail. While the crazy weather persisted, we hiked, experiencing rain, hail (up to 1 inch diameter), thick fog, snow, sleet, and 60mph wind gusts during those 24 miles. As you might have guessed, we made it through just fine and are already looking forward to the adventures of 2013.   Merry Christmas!

Bekah

What’s up, guys?  In April, I wrapped up my Sophomore year at the University of Michigan.  Winter semester was quite busy.  Near the end, I had nine concerts within a few weeks.  There was seldom a night that I didn’t have a rehearsal or concert.  I took a summer class at a small college in Ann Arbor.  During this time, I studied, practiced, and helped Tony and Rachel re-shingle their roof. This was definitely an experience.  My very optimistic brother thought it would be possible to complete the task in 3 days.  He chose Memorial Day weekend to do so (good idea, Tony, picking the hottest weekend of the year)!  We started Thursday afternoon, just ripping off shingles.  Well, whoever shingled his house last obviously didn’t know what they were doing.  Long story short, I spent hours upon hours Thursday and Friday afternoons and evenings ripping layer upon layer of shingles off one small section of the roof.  We worked on it all day Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, at least, when it wasn’t raining.  Needless to say, at the close of Monday, we hadn’t even finished a fraction of what Tony had originally planned for the first day.  Thus, for the next 4 weeks, we spent our evenings on the roof.  All I did for over a month was go to class, practice, work on the roof, eat, and sleep.  If I had laid off the ice scream and Five Guys burgers, I probably would have lost a lot of weight and been in good shape.  In May, I went down to Atlanta to spend some time with the family.  I did some babysitting, cooking, swimming, and lots of biking.  Returning to Ann Arbor in July, I spent the rest of the summer practicing and working at a gas station. My Junior year at U of M has kept me busy studying and practicing.  I don’t know about you, but I am looking forward to a quiet break.  Merry Christmas and Happy Trails, till we meet again!


Rose and Michael

 Wow! Where do I begin? First of all, Merry Christmas! This has been another whirlwind of a year…it seems like it was just last month I was telling you about the birth of our daughter, Rosalind. Now I get to tell you about the arrival of our son Asher Daniel Gray. He was born August 15. A whopping 8lb 7oz. God is so good! Everything went smoothly without any problems. Mom and Jade came to help with Rosalind, and were able to be there with us to experience the delivery. We are truly blessed to have such happy healthy children who are just as opposite as they can be! That being said, life is insane with two babies! They are 16.5 months apart…which provides me with some very full days. :) Michael’s work has been steady this year, thanks be to God. And God has also blessed my business this year. I am learning to juggle every-day-life and duties with the responsibility of working from home. But, I would not trade this life for any other. We joined a nearby church this spring and have so enjoyed the new friends we have made and the fellowship we enjoy.  Aniya and Nakiya spent another fun-filled summer with us. We taught Aniya to drive, as she turned 16 in August and obtained her learner’s permit. Nakiya’s highlight was eating lobster for the first time for her birthday dinner. Rosalind grew very attached to her sisters as we all thoroughly enjoyed our six weeks together as a family. We look forward to spending the Christmas holidays with Aniya and Nakiya this year as a family of six! We hope you, too, are enjoying family this Christmas!




Jade


Hi, I am Jade.  I am seven years old now and in the second grade.  Mom is homeschooling me, but on Thursday mornings we go to a Classical Conversations class where we do school work with other children.  Things like memory drills, geography, art and science.  My favorite school subjects are reading, science and history.  Well, maybe I like them all, except math.  I am still playing the piano and have also started harp lessons.  I want to play the harp as well as Bekah!  I have a new nephew, Asher!  Mom and I were in the delivery room when he was born.  It was great!  Mom said it counted for science class that week.  I do love playing with all my nieces and nephews.  We went up north to Michigan for a week in July.  I played in the water with Celeste.  I also drove two pontoon boats.  Yes, Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Mary let me drive their boats.  This year was sad for me because Micah went away to college.  Now, I am the only one left at home with Mom and Dad.  I do not like it at all.  Mom tells me to be content, but it is so hard.  I miss all my brothers and sisters so much.  Do you like jokes?  How did the hamburger introduce his girlfriend?  “Meet Pattie!”  I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Katie and Roberto


Yet another year has gone by in the Diaz household (and yours too, in case you haven’t noticed)! We have thoroughly enjoyed all of the adventures that go along with having three little children. Celeste turned four this year, and is maturing into a delightful little girl. She is super friendly and will strike up a conversation with anyone. Her favorite activities of the year are ballet lessons and home school classes.  The highlight of the year, though, was probably being the flower girl in my cousin’s wedding! The wedding was on Celeste’s birthday, and she talked about it for months before and after. She is quite the princess! Robbie turned 2 and is still a sweet boy, though he is becoming a lot stronger! He is quite strong-willed and independent, which can be a challenge. It is great, however, when it comes to getting jobs done. He loves to get dressed “all by myself.” I have figured out how to strategically delegate things to him to make my life easier. Shhhhh! Don’t tell! His biggest hobby is putting together jigsaw puzzles. He can work most 24 piece puzzles in 10 minutes or so. The largest he has completed on his own was 48 pieces. It took him a few hours, but he managed to finish and was quite proud of himself. Abigail is ever the joyful toddler. Her constant smiles and cuddling keep us all in a good mood…most of the time. Other highlights of the year included a trip to Disneyworld with some very great friends, traveling to Quantico, VA, for David’s commissioning, and spending almost two weeks in Michigan visiting family and relaxing on the lake. Roberto caught his first fish, the kids swam like fish, and I ate fish (rare for me). As always, our favorite moments were spent at home as a family, growing with each other and counting our many blessings. Merry Christmas to you!

Christian


Wow!  This has been a year full of much change for me.  The early months of 2012 found me in my last semester of undergraduate studies.  Since I had finished most of my required classes for my major and two minors, I was able to participate in a few interesting extracurricular activities in addition to my regular classes, one of which was Electronic Circuits.  In February I started working at an agricultural research center in Jackson, TN, working with a lab that is investigating fungal diseases of soybeans.  It was a very enjoyable and educational experience and I worked there through most of the summer.  In May of this year, I graduated summa cum laude from Union University with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry.  While my time at Union was a greatly beneficial and wonderful experience, I was excited to begin the next stage of my education and my life.  In July I began a five-year PhD program at Emory University in Atlanta, GA.  It is tremendously exciting to be taking the next step to becoming a University Professor of Chemistry, one of my life goals.  While the demands of graduate education are high, and the work is quite intense, I have been enjoying it and have already learned a great deal.  Since moving to Atlanta, I have also been able to spend more time playing the bagpipes, competing in solo events as well as with the Atlanta Pipe Band.  It feels good to be playing again, after having played so little in college.  God has taught me many lessons this year, some of them very difficult.  But through it all I have been continually reminded of the power of God’s grace and love for His children.  I pray that you too will feel God’s love and be reminded of His grace during this Christmas season.

Micah

Golly, where to start? This past year has been full of too many changes to count! In the spring, I went through a rigorous process of applying and auditioning to 8 different conservatories and music schools. After much prayer and deliberation, I decided to attend Carnegie Mellon University, class of 2016. I am majoring in violin performance and so far this past semester I have loved being a student at Carnegie Mellon, though at first it was difficult getting used to the extremely rigorous schedule filled with lessons and classes. I have met numerous new friends and am learning many new things in an exciting way. In the summer, I again attended the Bowdoin Music Festival in Maine.  I enjoyed playing chamber music and studying with professor Cyrus Forough, who happens to be my teacher at CMU. I look forward to learning many new things at Carnegie Mellon in the next 4 years. Have a very Merry Christmas!    






We give thanks to God as we are indeed blessed and highly favored!

  May God bless you and your families!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2023

Christmas Newsletter 2022